To empower visionary leaders to advance the public good, inspire action, and promote a civil, sustainable, and just society.
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation fosters and amplifies effective leadership that tackles key issues of national and global importance based on the following core values and principles:
• Inquisitive: Seeking knowledge & understanding the issues
• Visionary: Focused on the long term
• Diligent: Hard work and persistence
• Pragmatic: A bipartisan, results-oriented approach to problem solving
• Open: Seeking and respectful of diverse views
• Honest: Integrity and high moral standards
• Determined: Setting goals and following an effective process to reach them
• Inspiring: Motivating others for the public good
Inspired by the values demonstrated by Sen. Jackson, as described in
The Nature of Leadership: Lessons from an Exemplary Statesman
Jackson Leadership Fellows Program
The Henry M. Jackson Leadership Fellows Program is helping to change the way Puget Sound leads. By investing in the development of the next generation of servant leaders, the program builds skills, awareness, and a nuanced perspective among Fellows to tackle challenges in international affairs, human rights, the environment, and public service.
Each summer, the Foundation selects nine civic-minded leaders age 40 and under in the Greater Seattle area to participate in the fellowship, starting in October. The program is built around a values-based leadership framework that exposes Fellows to the most salient leadership qualities and principles modeled by Senator Henry M. Jackson. Key areas of focus include informed and careful analysis, deliberate and principled decision making, bipartisanship, and serving the public good.